Friday, January 20, 2012

Humana Challenge Day 1

I can't decide if writing more often to create shorter blog posts is more work or less work...I guess it all evens out in the end right? As I said in my last post, we are in La Quinta, CA this week for the Humana Challenge, the first tournament in the west coast swing. It has been an eventful week so far leading up to the tournament. As with every week, golf wasn't the only thing on the agenda...at least not for me.

On Tuesday, while Michael played practice rounds on 2 out of 3 courses for the week, the Clinton Foundation hosted an all day health conference focusing on the obesity epidemic in the United States and how we can combat it. They were most concerned about childhood obesity and the fact that the current generation will live shorter lives than their parents if things don't change. One staggering fact involved the prevalence of physical education in schools. Now I don't know about you, but I had PE all through high school, even while I was a varsity soccer player. Today's schools have decided that physical activity is no longer important for kids as 4% of elementary schools, 6% of middle schools and 2% of high schools require PE in the US. If this is the case, the burden falls on parents to make sure your kids are getting adequate exercise. I won't even go into the crap that they call food that is served at schools these days. Suffice it to say, when Michael and I have kids I will pack their lunches every day. 

On a somewhat less political note, the conference featured speakers from all different walks of life, including Bill and Chelsea Clinton, Billie Jean King, Jillian Michaels, Goldie Hawn, Annika Sorenstam, and several well known doctors and surgeons. The conference kicked off with a workout with Jillian Michaels and she is as hardcore as she appears on TV. She didn't yell at me, thank God, so I must have been doing things up to her standards but she was pretty harsh with some people. Following the conference, there were many talks about health and nutrition throughout the day. Overall, it was a very motivating experience.

On Wednesday, Michael played a practice round on the 3rd course for the week and I went to the spa. Now before you go judging me as being a typical PGA tour wife, I will tell you that stereotyping is not nice and the wives don't spend every week at the spa like you all probably think we do. It was a nice perk for the week and I took advantage of it as any girl who doesn't get a lot of personal pampering would do. I got a manicure (hot pink), pedicure (dark red) and sports massage (I have knots in places I didn't even know I had muscles...and I am a physical therapist who knows ALL the muscles!). That evening, we went to the PGA Tour bible study, hosted by Brad Payne who is a part of College Golf Fellowship. We learned about how to have faith in God like a child has faith in his parents to take care of him. It was a moving study and reminded us that we can are all children of God, adopted by Him and therefore heirs of his kingdom which is absolutely amazing to me.

Yesterday (Thursday), Michael played his first round of the tournament and shot a 71 (-1). He promptly switched out his new driver for the one he used last week at the Sony, saying that the shaft on the new one was too stiff which is why he kept hitting it left all day. His putting was very good as usually and his irons were spot on, so really his tee shots were what got him in trouble. The scores were extremely low for the first day so Michael is currently tied for 95th, but with 2 more days to go before the cut (they play all 3 golf courses this week before the cut prior to the final round) he has lots of holes to move up so don't worry guys! God has it all planned out and no matter what happens it is all for God's glory! We will praise God no matter the outcome and rejoice in the gifts he has given us! It seems that no matter what I try to do I still drag these blogs out as I am writing this one in the 30 minutes before Michael's 2nd round. Oh well...For a recap of the 2nd round, Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment