Sunday, April 14, 2013

Slick Saturday...and Sunday

"Failure happens all the time. What makes you better is how you react to it" Mia Hamm

So the week finally caught up with me and I couldn't find time to post last night. We actually had a great evening watching movies, soccer on TV, and cooking dinner. Michael was so excited that I let him chop the vegetables for our sweet potato, black bean and chicken burritos. He said it was therapeutic. It was nice and relaxing and peaceful cooking dinner and watching Couples Retreat in TV. Have you ever seen that movie? It's hilarious, but not kid appropriate.

Not every round is gonna go well. Some rounds just plain suck. But Mia Hamm had it right when she said that failure is just a part of life, and it's your reaction to failure that defines who you really are. Failures are God's greatest teaching opportunities. Yeah we were angry about the round as any normal guy out here would be, but turning that anger into something constructive, useful, and positive rather than purely emotional is what allows us to learn. And if you don't know who Mia Hamm is...wow.

Plus, we know that one round does not define a career. We know that we are just blessed to be out here doing what we do. The trick is to find positive aspects of every circumstance. God commands us to "Give thanks in ALL circumstances. For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18.

No matter what's going on in your life, find something positive to focus on, whether its your friends and family, a roof over your head, a job that pays the bills, good health, or even just being happy God allowed you to wake up this morning. I know for me, I am so thankful we had this opportunity to share this Masters experience with our family who travelled all the way from Arizona, Virginia, Florida, Colorado, and Texas. I am so thankful Michael made the cut and got to experience the weekend at the Masters. I am so thankful we currently have good health and wonderful friends. Most of all we are thankful that we have a loving Father in Heaven that watches and walks with us every single day, guiding our steps and paving our path ahead of us...even when we don't feel his presence he is still there. And he loves us unconditionally just like I love my husband unconditionally whether he shoots 7 under or 7 over. Whether he is on the PGA tour or has a normal 9-5 job. It doesn't matter what he does I will always love him, just like it doesn't matter what we do, God will always love us.

Now I know you are all wondering about the title of today's blog. Michael's nickname since Alabama has been Slick. The media seems to think that his nickname comes from the fact that he is a great putter. Well it actually had nothing to do with that and I plan to set the record straight...tonight when I write again so you'll have to wait a bit longer. Mostly cause I'm writing this on my phone in a parking lot and need to get to the course to watch Michael's final round.

And although we do wish we were playing later in the day, I have to be thankful we are playing early since it looks like there may be rain this afternoon. See? It's not about wishing for what could've happened or wondering what will happen. It's finding something to be thankful for with what IS happening. And I am just so excited I get to wear my rain boots again!

No comments:

Post a Comment